The award-winning Successful Transition and Empowerment Program (STEP) pre-orientation is intended to help historically underrepresented students successfully acclimate to college life, and specifically the Wharton environment. Programming introduces incoming first-years to important resources and helps them build skills to effectively navigate Wharton and Penn academically and socially.
Through STEP pre-orientation, students will have the opportunity to:
- Connect with current-student mentors, who provide guidance, encouragement, and support
- Meet academic advisors, cultural center leaders, academic support services staff, and faculty
- Learn more about available resources and get a better sense of all that Wharton and Penn have to offer
- Participate in small-group discussions, case studies, icebreakers, and team-building activities that explore concepts such as stereotype threat, imposter syndrome, and other topics that most impact historically underrepresented students
- Develop a personal “board of mentors” and build community with peers
- Gain early access to fall housing
STEP’s pre-orientation is by invitation only. There is no fee to participate.
The fall 2021 program will be held August 22 – 25.
If you have received an invitation, you can apply below. The application deadline is Wednesday, July 14, 2021.
For more information about STEP’s pre-orientation program, please review the FAQ. You can also visit the STEP Facebook page to find photos and information about program activities. If you still have questions, please contact Teran Tadal, Director, Equity and Inclusion, at firstname.lastname@example.org.