Students are responsible for successful completion of all degree requirements and are expected to work with an advisor to ensure that satisfactory progress is being made throughout their academic careers.
To maintain satisfactory progress at Wharton, students are expected to:
- Maintain a minimum semester GPA of 2.0
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Have no more than two I, F, GR, or NR grades for the academic term
- Complete a minimum number of course units each year according to the following schedule:
- 8 CUs by the end of the first academic year
- 16 CUs by the end of the second academic year
- 24 CUs by the end of the third academic year
The Academic Standing Committee will review the records of students who do not complete the required minimum number of course units per academic year and/or students who do not complete Wharton courses required for the degree in a timely manner.
Failure to enroll in at least 4 course units or dropping or withdrawing below 4 course units per semester may have an adverse effect on academic standing. The following student populations may face additional consequences:
- Athletes: The Ivy League requires that all student athletes complete an average at least 8 CUs per year; carrying less than 4 CUs may jeopardize athletic eligibility. Liz Sutton is Wharton’s athletic eligibility officer.
- International students: You must be enrolled for and complete a minimum of four course units (CUs) each semester. This does not include audits, withdrawals, or incompletes. Any student considering, for any reason, dropping a course that will cause his/her enrollment to drop below full-time (less than 4 CUs) must consult with an ISSS advisor before doing so. Dropping below full-time enrollment prior to obtaining written authorization from an ISSS advisor will jeopardize the student’s legal ability to remain in the US.
- Students with financial aid: Many aid packages require that the student complete an average of 4 CUs per semester. Carrying less than this amount may cause the student to lose some or even all of his or her financial aid. Call the Student Financial Services office for more information.
- Students taking a Leave of Absence or who are placed on First Drop: Per the Sunset Policy, students must complete all baccalaureate degree requirements within eight (8) years of their original date of matriculation. Students who do not complete their degree requirements within this time frame will be withdrawn from the University.