Welcome to STEP!
This pre-orientation program is intended to help historically underrepresented single-degree students successfully acclimate to the Wharton environment and college life. The Undergraduate Division’s advising philosophy is to engage, educate, and empower Wharton undergraduates, and STEP is designed to introduce freshmen to important resources and help them build skills to effectively navigate Wharton and Penn academically and socially.
Through STEP, students will have the opportunity to:
- Connect with current-student mentors who will be available to support you throughout the year
- Meet with academic advisors, cultural center leaders, academic support services staff, and faculty members
- Learn more about resources and get a better sense of all that Wharton and Penn have to offer!
- Participate in small-group discussions, case studies, icebreakers, and team-building activities
- Develop your personal “board of mentors,” establish a Wharton toolkit, and build community with your peers
- Gain early access to your fall housing assignment
The program will take place Sunday, August 20 through Wednesday, August 23, 2017. There is no fee to participate in the program.
The application for STEP was due June 21, 2017.
For more information about the program, first review the STEP FAQ. If you still have questions, please contact Ufuoma Abiola, Associate Director, at email@example.com or Teran Tadal, Associate Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What last year's STEP participants had to say...
“I really enjoyed the program and I feel that it was made me much more comfortable with the transition to Wharton!”
“My STEP peer mentor was amazing. She was so easy to talk to and gave us tips on everything from where to buy your textbooks to where to eat around campus. I feel comfortable reaching out to her anytime I’m in need of advice.”
“I plan to use all of the resources that STEP introduced to me, most notably the Women’s Center, GIC, CAPS, and Weingarten. I also will be able to approach professors using the strategies I learned in STEP.”
“STEP was great and I am so thankful to have had the opportunity.”