The Successful Transition and Empowerment Program (STEP) pre-orientation is intended to help historically underrepresented students successfully acclimate to college life, and specifically the Wharton environment. Programming introduces incoming first-years to important resources and helps them build skills to effectively navigate Wharton and Penn academically and socially.
Through STEP pre-orientation, students will have the opportunity to:
- Connect with current-student mentors, who provide guidance, encouragement, and support
- Meet academic advisors, cultural center leaders, academic support services staff, and faculty
- Learn more about available resources and get a better sense of all that Wharton and Penn have to offer
- Participate in small-group discussions, case studies, icebreakers, and team-building activities that explore concepts such as stereotype threat, imposter syndrome, and other topics that most impact historically underrepresented students
- Develop a personal “board of mentors” and build community with peers
- Gain early access to fall housing
STEP’s pre-orientation is by invitation only. There is no fee to participate.
The fall 2023 program will be held August 20 – 23 (participants will be able to move in on August 19).
The application is now open and the deadline is Tuesday, June 20, 2023. Students will receive an email with a link to apply.