Internal Transfer & Dual Degree: FAQ

If you can’t find the answer to your question on this page, please feel free to email

What impact does the spring 2020-spring 2021 pass/fail grading policy have on my application?

For any course taken pass/fail in spring 2020, fall 2020 or spring 2021, please be aware of the following:

  • The Wharton IT/DD admissions committee will look at the original grade submitted by the course instructor before it was converted to a ‘P.’
  • Original grades for courses taken pass/fall in spring 2020, fall 2020 or spring 2021 will not be used to recalculate your cumulative GPA for purposes of eligibility.
  • Courses taken pass/fail during spring 2020, fall 2020 or spring 2021 only will not count toward the one-pass/fail-course-per-academic-year maximum.
  • If you receive a ‘P’ in a required course taken in spring 2020, fall 2020 or spring 2021, you will be eligible to apply. However, the committee will consider the strength of your performance in required courses taken pass/fail.

What is the application process for internal transfer/dual degree?

Students need to meet with their current home school advising office to discuss the process. Students can then complete the online application, and committee of Wharton administrators will meet to discuss each applicant.

Once the decisions have been made, all students will be notified via email. Please note that all decisions are final.

Should I submit letters of recommendation?

No. The admissions committee will not review letters of recommendation.

Can I take classes at Penn during the summer to fulfill the requirements?

Students can take required courses over the summer as long as those courses are completed prior to applying for entry into Wharton. This means that students applying in the spring for fall term entry cannot take required courses in the summer after their application has been submitted.

Can I take classes at another university to fulfill the requirements?

Students cannot take any business courses at another university to fulfill the requirements.

Transfer credit for ECON or MATH from another university is subject to approval by the respective Penn department. Upon satisfactory review, the home school will post the credit. If transfer credits are not posted by the application deadline, the application will not be considered.

What if I have waivers, AP, IB, or transfer credit to fulfill the requirements?

If you have received an AP or IB course waiver or credit or a transfer credit for a required course, you do not need to retake those courses. Course waivers, transfer credit, and AP/IB credit must appear on the student’s transcript before the application is submitted. Applications that do not have updated waiver, transfer credit, or AP/IB documentation will not be considered.

I took STAT 111 in the College. Does that fulfill the statistics requirement?

Students who have taken STAT 111 in the College fulfill the STAT 101 requirement for admission, but they must take STAT 102 and one additional upper-level statistics course of their choosing to fulfill the Business Fundamentals requirement for statistics.

Students who have completed MATH 114 are eligible to take STAT 430 and 431 for the Business Fundamentals sequence instead of STAT 102 and another higher-level statistics course.

If I took STAT 111 and MATH 114, can I take STAT 430 and 431 to fulfill the statistics requirement?

Yes, students who have completed MATH 114 are eligible to take STAT 430 and 431 for the Business Fundamentals sequence instead of STAT 102 and another higher-level statistics course.

What if I will have an incomplete grade on my transcript because I need to take a make-up exam?

A student who has an incomplete grade because they need to take a make-up exam at the start of the following semester is permitted to apply. Should this student be accepted, there will be contingencies on the acceptance such as a minimum final grade in the course and a cumulative GPA that remains above the required minimum. All contingencies will be detailed in the email notifying the student of their admissions decision.

What if I have been subject to disciplinary action by the Office of Student Conduct?

If you have been subject to disciplinary action from OSC, you are still permitted to apply for internal transfer or a dual degree; However, you should explain the situation in your response to the disciplinary action question on the application. The committee will carefully consider your answer.

What if I am also applying to HCM, M&T or LSM?

You will need to submit an application to Wharton in addition to your HCM, M&T, or LSM application. You should apply to Wharton as if this was your only dual-degree application. If you are not accepted by HCM, M&T, or LSM, Wharton will then consider your application.

How do I know what classes to register for next semester if I don't know whether I have been accepted yet?

This is a matter that you should discuss one-on-one with an advisor in your home school.

How many seats are available for internal transfer and dual degree?

The number of seats available varies each semester depending on our current student enrollment.

When can I expect to find out if I've been accepted?

Students who apply at the end of the spring semester (rising sophomores) can expect to hear a decision by late July.

Students who apply in the middle of their sophomore year can expect to hear a decision in early January after their grades have been posted and before the start of the semester.

If I am admitted, what requirements will I have to take to catch up?

All accepted students must enroll in WH 101 in the fall semester immediately following their acceptance. Admitted rising sophomores must complete BEPP 250 or ECON 101 by the end of their sophomore year.

If I am not admitted, can I apply again?

Yes, as long as you meet the requirements.