Part-time status is defined as 2.5 CUs or fewer. Seniors in the final semester of their undergraduate program may be designated as part time if they need 2.5 CUs or fewer to fulfill their degree requirements.
Please read all of the information below before applying for part-time status.
Procedures and Deadlines
Academic advisors determine if a student is eligible for part-time status. Once enrolled in 2.5 CUs or fewer, students need to complete the form below before the first day of the semester.
Please note the following:
- Requests after the deadline will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
- Students with financial aid should consult an assistant director in Student Registration & Financial Services (SRFS) before electing part-time status to avoid any potential adverse consequences to their aid package.
- Dual-degree students must contact their home school to pursue part-time status.
- Athletes will not be able to apply for part-time status until after grades are posted for the previous semester.
- International students must request and be approved for a Reduced Course Load (RCL) before their request can be reviewed and approved by their assigned advisor.
- Students with part-time status who drop or withdraw from courses should be aware of tuition-refund deadlines.
- Students who wish to use Student Health Services, may pay the additional clinical fee or enroll in the Penn Student Insurance Plan. For more information, contact Student Health Services.
- Students who wish to access the Pottruck Health & Fitness Center, should contact the Penn Campus Recreation Membership Services Office.
Impact on Billing
After the status is posted, SRFS will automatically adjust the appropriate tuition and fees by the next billing cycle. Please consult the SRFS site for specific dates. The per-CU, part-time tuition and fees for undergraduate COL, NUR, EAS, or WH courses are the following for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- Tuition: $7,176.00
- General Fee: $710.00
- Technology Fee: $114.00
Please note the following:
- Students are still responsible for any and all other fees or charges, class-related or otherwise.
- Full-time bills may be generated automatically by SRFS prior to the deadlines stated above. Students are responsible for paying their bills according to the deadlines and policies set by SRFS and will be subject to any late-payment penalties for bills that are not paid on time. Deadlines for tuition refund apply.
- If a student drops to only 1 CU, any federal loan that he/she has will enter its six-month grace period, causing the repayment cycle to start.
- Academic aspects of part-time status: Contact your academic advisor in the Wharton Undergrad Division via email or by scheduling an appointment.
- Financial aid, loan, and billing aspects of part-time status: Contact a counselor at Student Registration & Financial Services.
- Part-time status and athletic eligibility considerations: Contact your academic advisor in the Wharton Undergrad Division.
- Part-time status and immigration considerations: Contact an advisor in the International Student & Scholar Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-898-4661.