If your internship is virtual and you are not sure if you need CPT, please consult with your ISSS advisor.
International students who are interested in applying for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) in conjunction with a summer business internship, whether paid or unpaid, in the U.S. as well as U.S. citizens/permanent residents who will pursue an unpaid summer internship, should review the information below on MGMT 3910: Leadership in the 21st Century, an option for academic credit. Please note the following:
- MGMT 3910 is offered in the summer and may be taken once.
- Only rising juniors and seniors in Wharton are eligible to apply.
- Students who have already taken MGMT 3910 should apply for MGMT 3980 instead.
MGMT 3910: Leadership in the 21st Century focuses on how to create a workplace where your employees will thrive and how to develop an organizational culture that will be successful in the new world of work. This course provides practical tips as well as thought-provoking questions to consider as you complete your internship. The course is taught in four modules:
- The first module focuses on employee engagement.
- The second module addresses the effect of employee and network interactions on productivity and examines the role of innovation.
- The third module focuses on purpose-driven leadership, examining how expectations for leadership are shifting to models incorporating purposeful responsibility.
- The final module covers analyzing and evaluating organizational culture and learning how to lead change in that culture to achieve superior organizational performance.
MGMT 3910 is a 0.25 CU course that may only be taken pass/fail.* The course is delivered via Canvas and is self-paced. Students should allow 1-2 hours per module.
To pass the course, all modules and assessments must be completed by 11:59 PM EDT on August 4. Failure to meet the deadline will:
- Result in an F grade, which will be factored into your cumulative GPA
- Negatively affect eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for international students
* Students who complete both MGMT 3910 and MGMT 3980 may count the combined 0.5 CU toward their unrestricted electives only.