If your internship is virtual and you are not sure if you need CPT, please consult with your ISSS advisor.
International students who are interested in applying for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) in conjunction with a summer business internship, whether paid or unpaid, as well as U.S. citizens/permanent residents who wish to pursue an unpaid summer internship, should review the information below on MGMT 3980: Managing and Motivating Talent, an option for academic credit. Please note the following:
- MGMT 3980 is offered in the summer and may be taken once.
- Only rising seniors in Wharton are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have completed MGMT 3910 in a previous year.
MGMT 3980: Managing and Motivating Talent introduces the key elements of managing talent and motivating people. This course provides practical tips as well as thought-provoking questions to consider as you complete your internship. The course is taught in four modules:
- Managing Social and Human Capital focuses on how motivation affects an individual’s performance and how to use that motivation to drive performance.
- Tasks, Jobs, and Systems of Work is designed to teach you the difference between a task and a job and how jobs and systems of work have evolved to improve employee performance and productivity.
- Managing Social and Human Capital focuses on how to apply key concepts to making good and timely management decisions and build higher performing teams.
- Designing and Changing the Organization’s Architecture describes the influence of an organization’s architecture on management and team performance and will teach you how to identify key steps to lead organizational change.
MGMT 3980 is a 0.25 CU course that may only be taken pass/fail.* The course is delivered via Canvas and is self-paced. Students should allow 1-2 hours per module.
To pass the course, all modules and assessments must be completed by 11:59 PM, EDT, on August 4. Failure to meet the deadline will:
- Result in an F grade, which will be factored into your cumulative GPA
- Negatively affect eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for international students
* Students who complete both MGMT 3910 and MGMT 3980 may count the combined 0.5 CU toward their unrestricted electives only.