Curricular Practical Training (CPT) through Wharton

Wharton offers support for students seeking Curricular Practical Training (CPT) through coursework that allows international students to comply with regulations while completing a summer internship in the U.S.¹ Please note the following:

  • Internships may be paid or unpaid.
  • Coursework supportive of CPT through Wharton is only available in the summer.
  • Students must obtain CPT authorization before beginning employment authorized by CPT, which must be completed before the student graduates from their academic program.


To be eligible for summer coursework to facilitate CPT, students must: 

  • Have declared a concentration in their Wharton degree program (Students can declare beginning in the fourth semester of study.)
  • Have an offer letter for a summer internship in the US that is directly related to an area (or areas) of study in the Wharton curriculum. The letter must include the company name, full address of worksite, start and end dates of employment, number of work hours per week, job title, and job duties. 

Application & Process

  1. Review the ISSS web site for immigration-related information on CPT. Contact your ISSS Advisor with any questions.
  2. Consult with their assigned Wharton academic advisor about the internship offer. 
  3. Complete the appropriate iPenn form and attach the offer letter by the priority deadline of Monday, April 1, 2024. 

Students completing CPT for the first time should request to enroll in MGMT 3910, and those seeking a second CPT experience should request MGMT 3980. Please also note the following:

  • No applications will be processed by Wharton until after the April 1 deadline. 
  • Students who submit an application by April 1 will have their requests reviewed in the first week of April. 
  • Applications submitted after April 1 will be reviewed within two weeks of submission. 
  • Students should apply by June 7 to ensure sufficient time to complete their CPT coursework.  Applications after this date will be considered on a case-by-case basis. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Can rising sophomores apply for CPT through Wharton?

No. Wharton does not offer coursework to facilitate CPT coursework for students with internships in the summer following their first year.  Students will need to have declared at least one concentration to apply for CPT, and Wharton undergraduates cannot declare concentration(s) until spring semester of their sophomore year.

Can students take CPT-supporting coursework in the fall and spring semesters?

No. Wharton does not offer any CPT courses in the fall or spring semesters. Students engaging in internships during fall or spring semesters need to consult with ISSS about visa regulations and compliance.

I am a Wharton student who wants to take an internship that isn't related to business study, but it relates to my minor or non-business study. Can I have CPT support from Wharton?

No. Students are only eligible for Wharton-supported CPT coursework with  internships that clearly relate to the study of business. Wharton CPT courses and supported internships have to be aligned with the BS in Economics. Even if a student is pursuing a STEM-designated Wharton concentration such as Business Analytics or Statistics or an engineering-related minor such as Computer Science, they are not eligible for enrollment in either for MGMT 3910 and MGMT 3980. This rule is related to ISSS compliance with US Federal Government regulations for CPT.

What happens if I do not complete MGMT 3910/3980 by the designated deadline?

Both courses are pass/fail by default. If you do not complete the course by the deadline, you will receive an F grade, which will be factored into your cumulative GPA. More importantly, failing the CPT course(s) will negatively affect eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after graduation.

If I complete both courses, what can I use the 0.5 CU credit for?

Students who complete both MGMT 3910 and MGMT 3980 may count the combined 0.5 CU toward their unrestricted electives only. These courses cannot be applied to Business Breadth or Concentration requirements.

Who should I contact with questions about my visa?

For information related to visa regulations and compliance, students should consult their ISSS advisor.

¹ These courses can also be used by U.S. citizens/permanent residents who wish to pursue an unpaid business summer internship.