This page will be updated when the program launches in spring 2024.
Wharton undergraduates are able to invite a Wharton PhD student and one other Wharton undergraduate to lunch at local restaurants around campus compliments of the Undergraduate Division. This lunch program is intended to help undergraduates learn more about research career paths, the nature of doctoral training, and the implications for course preparation during undergraduate years. This spring, the program will be available Tuesdays-Fridays, January 24 – April 21.
PhD candidates focus their work within nine different programs of study. Undergraduate students are encouraged to consider their own academic interests and invite a candidate (see PhD student directory) who is pursuing their doctorate within a similar field. Once a PhD student has been selected, follow the steps below to go to lunch:
- Confirm with the Wharton PhD student and other Wharton undergraduate student two (2) different dates/times when you are all available to go to lunch (see the sign-up form for available dates) as well as your preferred restaurant choices from these options: New Deck Tavern, Pattaya, or Renata’s Kitchen.
- Submit your request using the sign-up form at least one week before your desired lunch date. Your request is not guaranteed.
- If approved, all members of your group will receive an email confirmation from the Wharton Undergraduate Division, typically within one week of request submission.
- Enjoy your lunch!
- There is a $25/per person maximum including tip (alcohol may not be included in this expense).
- Obtain an itemized receipt when you are finished (no tax should be charged).
- Email a clear, high-quality image of your itemized receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org within one business day of the lunch.
Please also note the following policies:
- If an undergraduate student is a no-show and does not provide advanced notice for missing a scheduled lunch, that student will be banned from making lunch requests for one full semester from the date of the no-show.
- If a doctoral student is unable to attend a confirmed lunch (last minute), the request is void.
- Undergraduate students may take the same doctoral student to lunch only twice during their undergraduate career.
- Undergraduates are limited to a maximum of three lunches per academic year.
If you have any questions, please contact Harry Oehler.