Students are able to invite their professor along with one or two other students to lunch at local restaurants around campus compliments of the Wharton Undergraduate Division.
The spring 2018 program runs from January 23 to April 20. Requests will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis, and students should submit requests as early as possible in the semester to ensure participation.
Follow these steps and you’ll be on your way to a free lunch with your professor:
- Confirm with your Wharton professor three different dates/times when you are both available to go to lunch (see the sign-up form for available dates) as well as your top three restaurant choices from these options: Baby Blues BBQ, Beijing, City Tap House, Jake’s Sandwich Board, or Pattaya. You must submit three different dates in order for your request to be considered. Lunches are held Tuesday–Friday.
- Confirm that one or two of your classmates can join you for the lunch on the three dates you have confirmed with your professor. The group must include two or three undergraduates and one professor.
- Submit your request using the sign-up form at least one week before your desired lunch date. Your request is not guaranteed.
- If approved, you will receive an email confirmation from the Wharton Undergraduate Division, typically within one week of request submission.
- On the Monday before the scheduled lunch, you will receive a detailed email confirmation. Please review and print the confirmation to take with you to the restaurant.
- Communicate the lunch details and logistics to all attendees in your group.
- Enjoy your lunch! There is a $20/per person maximum including tip (alcohol may not be included in this expense). Please bring a copy of your email notification to the restaurant to confirm your reservation. Before ordering, make sure to let your server know that you are with the Lunch & Learn Program. When you are finished, please obtain an itemized receipt at the restaurant.
- Complete the online evaluation form and turn in your itemized receipt within one business day of the lunch to G95 Huntsman Hall.
Please review the frequently asked questions below. If you have any additional questions, please contact Bernadette Butler.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to invite the professor before I submit the request?
YOU MUST INVITE THE PROFESSOR FIRST. Once the professor accepts your lunch invitation, then you can submit the Sign-Up Form. Be sure to update the professor with the date/time/location once your request is confirmed by the Undergraduate Division.
Can I schedule a lunch less than one week before?
Unfortunately, no. All requests must be submitted via the online sign-up form at least one week in advance in order to process the request and schedule the reservation.
Will the Undergraduate Division contact my professor and other student attendees about scheduling?
No. The Wharton Undergraduate Division will not confirm availability or email anyone other than the student who submits the sign-up form for the reservation.
What are my responsibilities as primary contact for the reservation?
If you submit the Lunch & Learn online sign-up form, you are considered the primary contact for the reservation. It is your responsibility to:
- Notify everyone in your party about the lunch reservation.
- Coordinate details for the lunch (e.g., when/where to meet).
- Submit the itemized receipt to G95 within one business day of your lunch.
Can I take a non-Wharton professor to lunch?
Unfortunately, no. This program was specifically designed to give our Wharton students the opportunity to learn more about their Wharton professor in an informal, small group outside of the classroom.
Can more than three students attend the lunch?
Unfortunately, no. The maximum number of students allowed per lunch is three. The purpose of the lunches is to get to know each other better in a small-group setting.
Do attendees have to be Wharton students to participate in the program?
Undergraduates who are Wharton students or are taking a Wharton class are eligible to participate in the program. Please note, however, that only Wharton undergraduates can submit requests.
Can we dine at another restaurant that is not listed on the sign-up form?
Unfortunately, no. We have partnerships with the restaurants listed, and these are the only restaurants currently available for the lunches.
Do I have to pay anything for the lunch?
Attendees do not pay at the conclusion of the lunch. The Wharton Undergraduate Division pays the restaurants directly. However, please make sure you get an itemized receipt and submit it to G95 within one business day of your lunch.
Is the Lunch & Learn Program the same as the Student-Faculty Meals Program?
No, the Faculty-Student Meals Program is faculty initiated and is run through the Dean’s office. All undergraduate and MBA students are eligible and the lunches are arranged through Canvas and other methods.
The Lunch & Learn Program is student initiated and is run through the Wharton Undergraduate Division. Requests are submitted via the sign-up form and only undergraduate students are eligible.
What do I do if the faculty member cancels or the other student attendees cannot attend the lunch?
Please notify Bernadette Butler as soon as you are aware of the conflict or cancellation. All modifications and cancellations must be communicated, so the Division can give the restaurants appropriate warning.
Is there a specific format for discussion/conversation that we should follow during lunch?
You are free to discuss any topic you choose during lunch. The objective of this program is to give you the opportunity to learn more about your professor and your fellow classmates in an informal, small group setting outside of the classroom. Hopefully you will learn about the course topic in more depth, and/or discuss the professor’s background, career path, or research interests.
Is there a limit to the number of lunches I can attend?
Due to student demand for the program, students are only eligible to participate in a maximum of two lunch/learns a semester.